HomeHome  Cebu NewsCebu News FAQFAQ SearchSearch
ProfileProfile Log inLog in

New Living In Cebu Forums

Author Perry Gamsby found his dream, and you can too!

Home brewing - laws and regs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: I do a liitle home brew... Reply with quote

I do a little homebrew myself (my asawa does really, I just supervise). Just a few bottles of beer and wine.
The main things to look out for are to use a good yeast, keep everything as sterile as possible and temperature control (The Philippines may be a little warm for most yeasts).
Most of the local homebrews are pretty terrible so the application of the above principals could turn out some nice stuff.
mlampkin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...

In fact, Jeepster sent me a pm about getting supplies... I had to ( unfortunately ) tell him that the yeast / hops were brought with me...

Speaking of yeast... it was the high(er) temp ale style... without hardcore aircon / temp control I wouldn't even think of trying to do a lager... you would be lucky to end up with vinegar... lol.

Anyway - since I didn't know where local supplies / suppliers were... and in fact am out of the country right now... any chance you could share a bit of information... local places to get different hops / yeasts ... malted grains or extracts... or if the latter aren't available - decent high quality ( read that as - not treated w/ any funky pesticides / etc. ) barley for self malting...?

Michael
Bet_Busta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there are no Lambanog makers here in Cebu ( or I hven't heard of any), the people here may hve thought that Lambanog only come from Nipa palm.

Mollases is available at Caminade (more noted as a pet shop) across Mabolo Church.

Back to Beer:
Hven't heard of any seller of malt, beer yeast or hops in Cebu.
So why not:
1. Produce/ make malt from rice or corn. There's a wheat beer.
2. Use ordinary yeast
3. Instead of hops, use star anis or lemon grass.
mlampkin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...

1) In order those are called (a) Tapuy, (b) Whiskey ( after distilling ) and... (c) um NOT beer...

2) Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... NOT for BEER...

3) An alternative ( in addition to hops ) might be interesting... but any full replacement would / should have the same preservative effects as hops... and we would be drifting into answer 1c...

Lol... ;-)

Michael

P.S. Thanks for the mollases info - will check it out when I get back...
KID

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEXT time at the homebrew store that i go to i will get info for a supplier there in the phils for ya michael. this articular store actually brews in the store and compeats in competitions all over the world so I am sure they will be of great help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Living In Cebu Index -> General Advice All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2