HomeHome  Cebu NewsCebu News FAQFAQ SearchSearch
ProfileProfile Log inLog in

New Living In Cebu Forums

Author Perry Gamsby found his dream, and you can too!

metal frame building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Living In Cebu Index -> Building Tips, Property, Etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stennis1

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: metal frame building Reply with quote

Hi there people,

I am looking for an company who sell`s metal frames to build a warehouse.
Is there someone who can help me, because most of the time when you look at the web you find american company`s and that`s not the way to stimulate
the philippine economy. right?
It would be nice if i can find it on cebu
Alan_S

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly a few in Manila.

Over the weekend (I am away at present) I'll look in my files and post some names & contact info.

However, one UK company I know, has supplied many steel framed buildings to the Philippines, and apparently they are often cheaper than the local product.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am curious as to metal framing. I am considering a metal frame construction for my house as post and beam make me scared of the termite risk but i enjoy the open construction style. Any ideas or experiences anyone?
stennis1

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: metal frame building Reply with quote

My idea of this is to build a house of it.
It`s cheaper then the normal house, it`s bigger and you can do more with it.
The building is complete build out of metal and with the right isolation for the walls and roofing it will be just as hot as the normal concrete house.
You will have no termite problems,i have found on the web an american company who`s prices start with php.400.000.
If you look at a concrete house the prices start with php. 800.000 if you build it yourself and then you use cheap products ( and still a lot of wood ) termite food.
Thats my idea of building a house by myself,just see it on the web for yourself then you will have a better idea. metal frames warehouse is a very good solution in my eyes.
Or am i wrong thinking?
billten

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking the same thing. If there is one thing that PI construction guys know its how to weld so finding someone to make it would be wasy. I think the hard thing would be to find an engineer or architect to plan the house to be comfortable and not have an industrial feel to it.

Any links to that US company that sells pre-fab steel houses?
stennis1

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: metal frame building Reply with quote

Today we hat a conversation with a company from manila,
They will give us in 2 weeks a price for the sizes 25 ft x 40 ft x 30 ft high.
I will keep you all posted about this, i have seen the building company`s in the us and have seen prices.....to high.
For the amount that some company`s ask you will build a very nice concrete house.
talisayus

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: metal frame building Reply with quote

stennis1 wrote:
Today we hat a conversation with a company from manila,
They will give us in 2 weeks a price for the sizes 25 ft x 40 ft x 30 ft high.
I will keep you all posted about this, i have seen the building company`s in the us and have seen prices.....to high.
For the amount that some company`s ask you will build a very nice concrete house.

25 ft X 40 ft, and 30 ft high is a very large house. Those are almost the exact dimentions of my house in the USA. 30 ft high is a three story building. Are you planning to make this building a rooming house, where you and your family would live on the first floor, and rent out rooms on the second and third floors to help pay for it?
Just curious.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: metal frame building Reply with quote

My idea is to have on the downfloor a kitchen,stairs,washing room,toilet and livingroom.
On the first level a floor who is half the size of the building so you will have a balcony in the house and 3 bedrooms and a bathroom.
We want to have a high house because the heat will go up and the temp. will be nice in the livingroom.
I know that it is a big house but if you see the normal sizes of the houses, who are 65 sqm and most of the time build with cheap wood and concrete.
That`s why we wanna use a metal frame ( ware )house, you can instal the whole inside yourself in the way you realy want and you have a lot of space.
On the web you will find a lot of thoose buildings and they are a lot cheaper then the concrete houses.
I always say you must never be a thief of your own wallet.right?
stennis1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: metal frame building Reply with quote

Well after 3 months still no reply on my mails and phonecalls,that`s the phil. way.
There was one company in Manilla who ask`d a few things like, is it storage, stable and we would like to see the building permit.
And the only thing that i ask`d was "can you sell me a metal frame building.
The purpose is not important to you....they cant even give me a price!!!
So I will check out other idea`s in Cebu City
Bukwali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stennis,

I'm not very knowledgable regarding metal framed buildings, but i do like to try and stay in the loop. I managed to find a company called JEA.

www.jeasteel.com.ph

I dug around some handouts that i picked up during the 2006 construction show here in Cebu, I have two handouts in front of me now, one advertising JEA's light metal frames for internal walls and another for JEA's Hat Purlins, both handouts come with some specs on the rear.
If they are any use to you I could pass them on. just pm me

Perhaps there web site may be worth a visit, I cant find any phone numbers on the hand outs, so they could be based elsewhere in RP.

hope this helps

John
eyeout4u

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
That company sounds identical to those in the USA that use all steel construction with the interior steel walls being non-load bearing. A person would have to want sheetrock walls. It is termite proof and fire resistant, but if you were very close to salt water, you may hesitate about using steel.

It would be interesting to find out what their costs are and how they compare with other Philippine construction.
Bukwali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eyeout4u,

Having never used this light weight material for dividing or party walls I am a little sceptical about its sound and insulation qualities,

It seems to me that it will be a little like a drum when the surface is knocked, I know that this can be reduced by using a plaster board or a dense internal insulation, but this seems to increase costs, I need to construct a small section of stud wall [USA dry wall] in my new house in pardo, but I will stick with termite treated timber, double the studs but half the width, this allows for a staggered internal skeleton to the stud wall, insulation can then be weaved amongst the studs. this reduces noise being transfered from either face of the wall as neither are directly attached........

I guess once a carpenter always a carpenter lol

john
eyeout4u

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

When I was designing my office I had the potential problem of noise from the restrooms interfering with the conduct of business in the office next to those restrooms.

I looked up how to sound insulate walls and the solution you mention was exactly the same as the one that I considered. As you said, it usually only needs to be used on a small section of wall, so it really doesn't cost much and the fact that all your wood is treated, shouldn't cause a problem with termite infestation. You could also use double base and top 2"x4" plates and then stagger 2"x4" studs. The wall would then be 3.5" + 3.5" or 7" total thickness. This would allow for more insulation to be weaved between those studs. You could also use that thin foam that comes in rolls that is 3.5" in width to go under the bottom plate.

You are right that interior wall steel studs are very light weight, and of course non-load bearing. I think most of their strength is gained after they are screw gun attached to the sheetrock on both sides.

http://rense.com/general73/abam.htm
eyeout4u

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Since you are probably going to use studs that are 1/2 the width (to maintain the existing wall thickness), you may want to use a screw gun instead of trying to nail them. Since the studs will be much less thick, nailing may cause them to splinter or break.
stennis1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks BUKWALI

i will contact them and see what they can do.
keep you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Living In Cebu Index -> Building Tips, Property, Etc. All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1